So what's next..

At the beginning of 2017 I channeled my focus on getting more time on my feet and logging more miles.  After the death march of my first Half Marathon in May 2016, I loved the hurt so much, I had to do it again.  Odd?  Yes, probably.

I ran for years before, but crossing that finish line of the HM after several 5 and 10k's let me know, there's a lot of room for improvement.  I now consider 2009-2015 my ramp up years.  I was running for fitness, blood sugar control and the fun happy endogenous chemicals following a run.

My quest to run 100 miles in one month was something looming over my head for awhile.  In reality, it's a pretty modest number of miles for a guy aspiring to run Half Marathons and eventually 26.2 and beyond.  But, I am realistic. Jumping up from my usual 15 mpw split across 3-4 runs for years, to suddenly ramp up to 50 mpw would be a recipe for disaster.  I want to be smart with my approach.  30 years from now, I hope to be the wild 60 year old, refusing to believe I am no longer "young," chasing the front of the pack.

Recently I've back thinking back to a random encounter with ultrarunner, Avery Collins.  Avery is a young stud and in my eyes, one of the best talents in the sport and will be for years to come.  Even if the rest of the crowd hasn't caught on yet.  I met him at REI Pittsburgh in October 2016.  We talked for maybe 5-10 minutes or so, I met his best friend and fellow ultra runner, Devon Olson too.  Both runners were coming off big summer performances.  Avery took 1st at the Ouray 100 after getting re routed and falling back an hour or two of first place.  Devon took 1st at Eastern States as well on a brutally hot and humid day in Central PA.  Can't lie, I tried not to fanboy but I have a huge amount of respect for ultra runners and find them so damn fascinating.  We talked briefly about our running adventures and I was on my way with extra inspiration for my trail 10k the following morning.

The encounter was pretty cool, but one thing in particular Avery said to me has taken on new life after some of my training and racing experiences this year,

"Ya know man, I never dreamed or planned for any of this.  Until 4 years ago, all of this was an after thought, you just never know.  Keep running, and don't be afraid to push yourself, amazing things can happen."


I had become as my Dad liked to phrase, a "self fulfilling prophecy."  I, like many others get too wrapped up in our own minds, worrying and predicting events long before anything real can manifest itself naturally.  You sell yourself short, you lack the belief that amazing things can happen, and you settle into a safe zone where you know all is well.  This is NOT the mentality of an ultra runner. 

I am no PHD in biology or a licensed psychologist, but personally speaking, running has an insane connection between the mind and body.  I am a student of the ultra running world and enjoy learning more about the sport and it's evolution.  These runners subject themselves to insane physical and mental battles, all for the sake of the experience.

A marathon was once considered the pinnacle of running accomplishments, and still is an amazing physical feat, but for some, that's just the beginning.

2018 is damn near here.  I have a son on the way at the end of January, and with such a big life event, I feel like I need to do my part to keep the momentum rolling.  I've committed to running my first marathon in the second half of 2018.  I have a few eyed up, and will have to determine which race best suits our schedules and most importantly, accommodating for my man, Dominic Anthony.

I have dreams of running the Boston Marathon.  I've trained with runners who have tackled it, and stories like Cameron Hanes sifting through the pack to find Lance Armstrong, and outkicking Lance just sounds too epic to pass up.  Boston may be years away, but somehow, some way, I will run that race.  If Boston has to take a backseat for quite some time, that's ok, because I have dreams on the out on the trails as well.  I am biased towards the trails anyways.


The experience is what I am after.  Even after my own races, the after glow you feel after the finish line, is so damn addicting.  Life can never be the same after willingly subjecting yourself to a tough morning or afternoon. I think that's a fair trade off.

Our comfort zones are enticing, but they're a trap.  There is a good chance if you start running modestly, after awhile, you'll get restless, you'll desire more, that's supposed to happen.  I guess we'll never really know what's possible until you try.  On that note, time to hit the trails.

All the best,

Andrew






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

26.2 Almost Heavenly Miles

#FlashbackFriday My last High School Football game & a 558 blood sugar

The High Country