1 year later

After years of keeping a personal journal, and brainstorming with my younger brother, I finally pulled the figurative trigger with a blog, one year ago today.

No it hasn't generated a million followers, no I haven't gained sponsorship.  Collectively, I may have a couple hundred views.  However, that's a couple hundred more views that I wouldn't have if never published.  Maybe, just maybe, somebody came across my stories and found themselves relating to their own journey thus far, and clicked away with some positive reinforcement.

I opened up with word vomit about my early struggles with diabetes and the slippery slope of athletic dreams.  Being an athlete was something that gave me identity, it gave me confidence, it gave me desire to keep pushing.

I didn't know what anxiety was in high school.  I didn't understand the cumulative impact my nightly panic attacks were taking on me, yet.  Terrors of low blood sugar and waking up in a hypoglycemic seizure filled my head on the daily.  Temporarily, my escape was athletics, and the dreams accompanied with athletics.

Now at 30 years old, you can't redo what happened in high school or college.  Both of those time periods in my life didn't pan out to a fraction of what I had envisioned.  Dreams of All State and dozens of college offers were stunted from average performances and 400 blood sugar readings.  Now in 2017, I am just thankful I always walked off the field under my own power and lived to see another day. 

It's no secret, I love to run.  Reconnecting with one of my favorite childhood activities sparked new life within me.  Running allowed me to finally let go of my past.  Running, years later let me be at peace with my "failures" playing football.  Running, for once in my life, has let me live in the moment.  Something for me at least, I seriously struggled with for a long time.  Hitting the weight room is a fun and important, but it's no Saturday morning long run.

I guess if anything, this blog has reconfirmed the belief in myself.  I am healthy, I've traveled across the world, I am now a happily married man, with a son on the way.  In my quiet time, not all the time, but sometimes, I reflect and wonder, how the hell did this all come together?

When I quit trying to make up for lost time, or piece together what should have been, it's amazing what plays out when you embrace the present moment.  Yes, running is healthy.  It's changed the direction of my adulthood life, this I am confident of, but there's more to it than that.

I found my outlet, and it's inspired that crazy gene in me.  That crazy gene to reach for your relative unattainable goal.  That late night note you write down, something you dream of doing one day.  The power of the pen shouldn't be underestimated.  Embrace your space, embrace your moment.  Don't be afraid to fail, there is no failure in your endeavors, only learned lessons.

Go tap into your crazy gene, right now!

Much love,
Andrew

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

26.2 Almost Heavenly Miles

#FlashbackFriday My last High School Football game & a 558 blood sugar

The High Country