Change is inevitable, growth is optional..

In the not so verbatim, wise words of Uncle Joey Diaz, "yeah 2016 was tough and it makes me feel a certain way, but us savages are still standing and that's all you can focus on."  Amen.

Embrace what you have and continue to work on what you aren't satisfied with.  Sounds cliche I know, but the more I think about what a cliche is, the more they make sense.  I view cliches as bits of wisdom simplified down to the importance that we savor them for.  Cliches hold a lot of genuine truth too but sadly can get dismissed as the same ol', same ol' rhetoric.   

I ponder a lot around this time of year.  I am honest about my direction, past events, patterns of behavior, and i've found it to be a healthy practice for my evolution.  Getting too caught up in a past event though isn't an efficient use of our time and energy.  I am guilty as charged, as I am sure we all have been at moments.  

Our goals are relative to what we desire.  Some goals are long term, some are short term.  Either way, a daily list of goals has kept me accountable.  I desire good health, and adventure.  Type 1 Diabetes at times has provided both, and taken away from both because of my approach.  In order to evolve and get to a healthy baseline, I had to be honest about my approach and the areas I had to improve upon.  I started with the basics: sleep, hydration, nutrition, exercise, and stress management.  I am growing to learn that taking care of the essentials, with enough sleep and peanut butter, I'll figure out the rest.

Aside from the essentials being taken care of,  I finally acknowledged my fear of change too.  I am a creature of habit with my exercise, diet and sleep regimen, but the fear of the uncertainty that lied ahead after college overwhelmed me.  I grew up as a creature of habit, hanging out in a comfort zone, I never did enough to step outside of that box until shortly after college graduation.   When the 4 year party that we know as college ended, back home at your parents house with a blank slate awaiting you can put a lot of things in perspective.

Embracing the unknown has taken me down roads that I could have never envisioned in 2010.  When you enroll in college as a freshman, you anticipate a perfectly laid out road map that will fulfill all of your hopes and dreams once that diploma is in hand.  Maybe for some this happens, however, initially I did not fall under that realm.  Maybe it's my random mind that takes me the places I've been, but after some frustration along the way, I accepted that I wouldn't have had it any different.  You'll never know what could have been, but I am confident that I was absolutely supposed to experience all that I have thus far.

"Change is inevitable, growth is optional."  I randomly found this quote in my phone within the last week.  I can't recall why it struck me at that moment as I am sure i've seen it before, but at that particular moment, it's inspiration was felt.  If we're fortunate enough, we can look back at periods of our lives and reflect on the changes that we've lived through.  Seek adventure, and seek opportunities to challenge yourself.  Best wishes to all for an awesome 2017 and beyond, much love to ya!






    




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

26.2 Almost Heavenly Miles

#FlashbackFriday My last High School Football game & a 558 blood sugar

The High Country